Playdar is a music content resolver service - run it on every computer you use,
and you'll be able to listen to all the songs you would otherwise be able to
find manually by searching though all your computers, hard disks, online
services, and more.
Playdar provides a consistent API for accessing any song ever recorded. Learn more...
Got Playdar running? Check the Playdar Web Demos and see how web pages can integrate Playdar to take advantage of music you already have.
Playdar is free and Open Source (MIT License), and written primarily in Erlang.
You can extend it by writing additional resolvers in any language you like, not just Erlang. Read more..
- News coming soon about a new desktop build, and more on browseable collections
- Local library in the process of being moved to external binary, using C++/sqlite.
- Will specify updated external script/binary protocol including collection support, this will make Playdar aware of browsable collections for the first time
- flowcontrol merged to master: playdartcp now uses distinct connections per stream, which means queries are still serviced during streaming
- added comet support for streaming query results
- added experimental websocket API (and patched mochiweb for websocket support)
- other misc bits and pieces
- Playdar Summit and MusicHackDay in Boston were a huge success. Will be merging in new resolvers and patches in the coming days.
- AOLMusic resolver added to contrib
- SoundCloud resolver added to contrib
- Added a press page listing some of the Playdar coverage.
- Updated Demos list to add more demos
- An OS X package is nearly ready. Ask in IRC if you want to help test it
- Windows packaging is next after Mac - scanning works but there are a few glitches we're still sorting out
- An Intent To Package Playdar for Debian was submitted, .debs will appear in due course.
- Updated site to reference the new Erlang codebase, and officially deprecate the C++ one.
- License changed from GPL3 to MIT.
- We still need to make packages/installers for the new codebase!
- The Erlang version is very close to feature parity with the C++ codebase, once it's complete we'll deprecate the C++ project and build packages with the Erlang code.
- It should be a smaller download once the Erlang version is complete, and generally be faster and easier to extend.
- Changed to one config file per plugin instead of one big file
- Changed playdar daemon http port to 60210, and updated demos/js on playdar.org
- Everything is pluginized - api and local library moved out of core daemon
- Comet http api plugin (StreamingStrategy interface is being updated atm)
- Many performance and stability improvements to the daemon and core plugins
- Results are re-ranked with a reliability weighting as well as a score now
- mp3tunes resolver in contrib/
- darknet resolver in contrib/ compiles again, and (kinda) works
- The collection database is now auto created the first time you need it
- Added a 'preference' setting that affects sort order: you can have an equal score (based on metadata match) but still rank lower, based on reliability of the source or user preference.
- Added hAudio autodetection to playdar.js Docs
- Changed bug tracker link to github issues
- Added scrobbling support to playdar.js. Docs. You'll need a build that supports the audioscrobbler plugin, e.g. mxcl's
- Many performance improvements.
- Stale queries are deleted after 6 hours of inactivity, to reclaim memory.
- Script and external processes are now considered first-class resolvers.
- Example resolvers in PHP and Python available.
- Added Jason's screencasts to site.
- Updated resolver pipeline docs, link to example resolver written in PHP.
- Source code link now lists the trees for various parts of the project.
- playdar.js updates. Status bar now has a "Tracks" tab that shows a history of all queries and lets you choose individual results to play rather than just the best. New clear_auth handler
- User authorisation is now working, and pushed to github.
- Click "auth" in the green playdar bar to allow the site to access Playdar.
- Playdar localhost webserver now lets you manage which sites are authorised
- Mac build updated with auth. Windows build is currently outdated and doesn't have auth yet.
- Added an "about" page
- Resolver plugins are loaded dynamically now, wrote a tutorial Demo Resolver Plugin. There are still some build issues to iron out in my tree on win/mac atm -RJ
- some API changes to playdar.js relating to soundmanager registration. Check the docs. Bumped version 0.3.2 - james
- updated playdar.js library to 0.3 with support for SoundManager 2 - james
- some improvements to the search demo - james
- Link to mac package that comes with prefpane from max
- updated playdar.js library to 0.2 with docs: this is a backwards incompatible api update. demos and the greasemonkey script have been updated accordingly. - james
- Mac build works now, fixed 'bus error' crashbug - russ
- added windows installer from Laurie, and a wrapper app that creates a systray icon